I don't recall ever formally defining my comment policy for this blog. Given that I plan on starting to post a bit more frequently on public policy issues that may well be contentious, I think a comment policy may be in order.
Here are my current thoughts on my comment policy for New Dog Old Trick. These are subject to change with no notice - after all, it is my blog.
1. I love comments on blogs. I post here at least partially to help me explore and learn about issues and comments are another means to learn. I love good discussions in blog comment threads. So if you want to comment, you are welcome to do so, subject to a few minor constraints.
2. This site is rated PG. If your comments don’t reflect that rating, they will be edited or removed.
3. I love a good argument. Having said that, let's keep the discussion civil and respectful. I reserve to right to delete offensive comments, personal attacks, ad hominem nonsense, etc. Disagreement is good, strong opinions are good, well reasoned discourse is good, personal hostility is bad. If the same commenter has repeat offenses, they will be banned.
4. Relevant links in comments are fine, irrelevant links are strongly discouraged and easily could result in the comment being edited or deleted.
5. I hate spam or spam-like substances. If I think your comment, link, etc. is spam, it's gone and you are banned. I don't spray paint on the walls of your house, don't deface my blog.
6. I am not responsible for the contents of comments left on this blog by anyone other than me.